One of my good friends works with the Senior Associate Dean for External Affairs for the University of Florida College of Medicine to manage their Mobile Outreach Clinic. The Mobile Outreach Clinic is basically this bus the College of Medicine tricked out to serve as a mobile clinic here in the greater Gainesville/Alachua County Area. I honestly cannot even say how excited I am to help raise money for this cause.
Now that green, and giving green , is the new black, I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to capitalize on this trend for The Mobile Outreach Clinic. The current plan goes as follows:
- Arrange a "Project Runway" like competition amongst local designers here in Gainesville
- Have designers complete 2-3 looks (hey we are college students first and school IS our first priority) from sustainable materials such as burlap, linen, and cheesecloth
- Showcase these looks in the tradition of the old Parisian Houses--rather than have one runway with stacked seating, have the models walk a path through the house, thus allowing everyone "front row seating"
- Utilize President's House at the University of Florida to host the gala/ fashion show (It is a BEAUTIFUL and will serve as the perfect venue for this event.)
- At the end of the night, have the attendees of the event place their donations to the Mobile Outreach Clinic in baskets designated for their favorite designer
- Declare the designer that has the greatest amount of donations (in terms of total dollar amount) in their basket the winner
- Hit up every store we can think of for contributions to the "accessory closet"
- Auctioned off in a silent auction all donated items with proceeds going to the Mobile Outreach Clinic.
I only have three months to make my vision a reality but I am determined to succeed. I have faith that come April, I will be in the President's House thinking to myself --and most likely saying to anyone who will listen, "Damn this truly is amazing". I have been blessed with an amazing support system here at UF, and I am confident that so long as we pull our resources, this event will take place, and we will be successful in raising mad funds for the Mobile Outreach Clinic.
So, am I right? Is "green", whether one is sporting it, or giving it, the new black?