Sunday, November 8, 2009

Why do I procrastinate?

Procrastination is defined as putting off or delaying or deferring an action to a later time. I realize that procrastination plays the largest role in my life when it comes to school work. I do not mean for this to come off as pretentious, but I am a pretty smart individual. The reason I do not have the grades I should have is due mainly in part to my procrastination which stems from my lack of interest in most assignments I am given. (Take right now for instance, I should be writing French compositions and reading for that dreadfully boring Sociology course that I wrote about earlier, but instead, I am blogging.)

I always stress myself out when it comes to deadlines for school assignments, yet somehow always manage to come through in the clutch. I guess you could label me a "clutch student". I am completely capable of remembering deadlines, and keeping track of everything on my plate; I am just not motivated to complete some of them.

I have always known that I am terrible and completing task which I see no purpose in completing. Where as I have been conditioned to think grades are important, I do not see things that way, therefore I do not act accordingly. I am more concerned with the real world, and as a result, I tend to focus most of my energy completing task I feel relevant to the real world. In the grand scheme, I guess I figure that a C here and there is not really a big deal, because one day, I will be evaluated based on my work ethic, and not my grades--even though I guess initially, I may be judged on my mediocre grades huh?

It is this frustration that motivates me to do well in my life. One day soon I hope to only have projects and task that interest me taking up my time and energy. I excel in anything I like, and rarely procrastinate when it comes to those--in fact, often times I complete those task far prior to even looking at my other task.

I do not mean to come off as some lazy prick that is just bitching because he has not gotten his way, but seriously, it is times like this that I cannot help but ask "what am I doing with my life?!" I am unhappy because I have so much on my plate that does not interest me that I cannot even do what I like doing. Sure, theoretically, I could do what I like, and once that is complete, I would be able to knock out the other required task; however, because I actually enjoy what I would be doing so much, I could spend all day working on it and continue to come up with ways to improve it.

On that note, I need to get back to my homework which I have managed to post-pone for more than two hours.

Man do I need college to be over with!

Ebb

No comments:

Post a Comment