Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Are they serious?!

I apologize for the somewhat more serious tone my blog has taken. Where as I am extremely passionate about fashion, my other passion lies in politics/current events--odd combo I know.

I was going through today's headlines when I came across this article on an up-coming Supreme Court hearing. I could not help but almost vomit in my mouth as I read this, how shall I say, interesting interpretation of the First Amendment. The case which will be heard by our "highest and finest" court is in regards to anti-gay protest at military funerals.

Now there are a million ways I can go with this, but I won't--I'll try to keep it as relevant to the article as possible. The anti-gay group is none-other than Topeka's , Westboro Baptist Church--a church whose url address  is "godhatesfags.com" mind you.(Now that just doesn't sound Christian does it?) This group chooses to picket at military funerals and claims that gays are the reason why we are at war, and the reason for all the casualties. If you are lost, don't worry, I am too. The church admits that they picket at military funerals because they know it will get them a lot of attention.

What type of sense does that make?! The group isn't even protesting the way, their SOLE purpose is against homosexuality. The reason this all pisses me off, is because they are getting away with all this, because they AREN'T talking about the victims whose funerals they are ruining. WTF?! How does this even make sense?! I honestly do not even know what purpose our constitution serves given everyone and their mother can use it except those whom it was meant to protect.   

I honestly do not know where I was going with this. I really just needed to get my thoughts out on the subject. I just really do not understand how the court can even entertain this hearing. I am all for freedom of speech--even if it is something I do not agree with--but have some class and respect about yourself when using that freedom of speech. Honestly, I don't understand why homosexuality is such a big topic.

If we are going to allow murders behind bars , adulterers, and divorcees to get married/remarried, then why can't gays? Everything I listed is arguably "frowned upon" in the Bible. Why does everything else get a pass, but for some reason, homosexuality is always debated? God said somewhere in the good book, that sin is sin.(Don't get it twisted, I don't think being gay is a sin by any means.) To me that means that there is no ranking in God's eyes when it comes to which sin trumps the other.He also tells us somewhere in the Bible that it is not our job to judge, but instead to love our neighbors. I guess the members of Westboro Baptist and I aren't reading the same book? This shit really just infuriates me.


I am doing my best to stay on topic, and make sense, but fear that I am failing miserably. With that, I am logging off.

I'd love to read your thoughts though,

Ebb

Sources: washingtonpost.com/ reuters.com/ wikipedia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment